Wednesday, August 5, 2009

My lesson with frozen shredded zucchini


So remember ages ago I said that I had heard that shredding and freezing zucchini is more space efficient than making zucchini bread and freezing that? Well I decided that I didn't want to keep freezing bags and bags of shredded zucchini without knowing how it would work out for baking. So this afternoon I decided to make some ginger zucchini cupcakes. Because I decided this at work this afternoon, there was no time to come home and defrost the zucchini, but I thought it would work out if I put the bag in a bowl of hot water. Well, no, that didn't work. So I emptied the block of icky green stuff into a colander and poured two kettles of boiling water over it before it was fully defrosted. Then I had to squeeze all of the water out of the zucchini. By the time I had done this, my two cups of zucchini was reduced to one cup. Save going through the whole mess again, I just shredded a fresh zucchini.

The end result is pretty delicious!

Lessons learned from using shredded frozen zucchini:
1. when bagging up, a sandwich sized bag filled to the brim is two fresh cups of zucchini
2. defrosting takes a long time so remember to take out the veg in the morning
3. squeeze really well to get all of the water out
4. you will need to use two sandwich size bags to get two cups of zucchini (a quantity most recipes ask for)








I had forgotten how much I loved these cupcakes!


No comments:

Post a Comment