Saturday, August 1, 2009

Saturday morning sadness

Thursday night, Danny organised a bachelor party for our good friend Yavuz Ozeron, who gets married today. He and his brother did a pretty good job of sneaking into the house quietly at about 1am but you cant really sneak anywhere when you have two protective dogs. So needless to say, I didnt get a full nights rest thursday. If you were considering robbing us during the night, you may wish to consider as your presence will not go unnoticed. I still managed to get up at 6am and walk the dogs as usual though. I think there would have been a riot had I not succeeded in this morning activity!

After an exceedingly boring day at work friday, we took Danny's family out to Texas de Brazil in downtown Memphis as a thank you for sitting our dogs so often whilst we are away. I think they were pretty blown away by the delicious salad bar and incredible amounts of meat offered. We then went to see the latest Harry Potter, which I have to say, I wasnt all that impressed with. Too much teenage drama, which just bores me and perhaps even aggravates me. So we didnt get to bed til 2am last night. So for the first time in a long time, I did not enjoy grocery shopping this morning. Shock horror, I know. Its usually my favourite activity of the week, although I am away that its a sad past time to have. Im somewhat tired and grumpy, so perhaps best to avoid me today! At least until I get a full nights sleep! I enjoyed the Farmers Market with my girl friends and picked up some figs, but alas no butternut squash this week. I ordered my Thanksgiving and Christmas turkeys, which is a weight off my mind! This brings me to the title of this post... the reason I am sad this saturday morning is that my favourite blueberry stand had its last batch of blueberries this weekend. ah. So I bought 3 large cartons, two of which I put up in the freezer for those rough months when I can not see the end to the winter dreariness in sight!

Today I am honored to be making the vegetarian food for the union of Yavuz and Kevser. I am going to make a lime peanut coleslaw, Veganomicon's Corn Edamame salad and hopefully a garden fresh cucumber tomato salad with all my different colour tomatoes! I hope to squeeze in a little gardening and save enough time to wash up for the wedding at 6pm.

Corn and Edamame Salad
(great for lunches)
Dressing:
2 tbs toasted sesame oil
1 tbs rice vinegar
2 tsp soy sauce

Salad:
2c frozen, shelled edamame
1c fresh or partially thawed frozen corn
2 tbs toasted sesame seeds
generous pinch of salt

Bring a pot of water to a boil. Meanwhile. whisk the dressing ingredients.
Boil edamame for 3 minutes. Add corn and boil another 2 minutes. Drain into a colander and run under cold water until cool enough to touch. Add the corn and edamame to the dressing and toss to combine. Add the sesame seeds and toss again. Salt to taste. Cover and chill at least 15 minutes.


Tomato Cucumber salad
Fresh tomatoes (never place fresh tomatoes in the fridge), sliced
Cucumbers, sliced
Parsley
Salt and pepper
Olive Oil

Place sliced veggies in rows on a square plate or concentric circles on a round plate - presentation is everything! Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with fresh or dried herbs and salt and pepper. Simple yet visual spectacular and oh so tasty!


OH! Its raining!

No comments:

Post a Comment