Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Anthem


Anthem
- Ayn Rand


Last week I read Athem, by Ayn Rand. I have to say, and I hate that this seems to be my theme lately, I was a little disappointed. After absolutely loving Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand, which I read in a frenzy last summer, devouring each page quicker than I could turn it, I had seriously high hopes for this short story.

Its theme runs true to all of the other books Ayn Rand seems to write; individualism is quashed by society, one person breaks free from the regime and sees the light, as it were.

I cant tell you about the story line, in case you read it, but there is a turning point in the book, after which it does become especially exciting and I couldn't put it down to go to sleep and stayed up way past my bed time. But that point was about two thirds the way through. I also thought it was especially convenient that the house that the breakaway individual finds, is stocked with intellectually stimulating books of history and science, not trashy novels or fictional books. Then, perhaps, his opinion of the Unmentionable Times would have been a completely different one!

It is interesting to read her opinions and worries, but I fear that having to continually read them, may get a little tiresome and repetitive. If you just read one Ayn Rand book, please make sure it is Atlas Shrugged, but if you have a spare weekend, or even afternoon, Anthem is a quick read and you can happily borrow my version.

Oh! and incase you were worried about Munch and I, it was just a 24 hour stomach bug last week that lots of ginger tea and a hot water bottle seemed to make more bearable. It seems to be going round Mississippi and there doesnt seem to be much you can do to avoid it. I hope you dont get it!

No comments:

Post a Comment