Saturday, February 20, 2010

A Special Treat!

I had the best breakfast ever today, I felt like I was in a posh restaurant but I wasn't paying through the roof for it and I was still in my pjs! If you want to treat yourself to a special breakfast, I seriously suggest you make crepes.

I got in the mood Tuesday, when it was Pancake Day in England. I had four crepes after my chicken noodle soup dinner! Totally made my evening after such a lame dinner. I just had a taste for them after that. I never make them because they seem like so much work, but I was reminded this week, just how easy they are to make!

Unfortunately my recipe is British, so you will have to work out your own conversions.


Crepes

4 oz plain flour
pinch of salt
1 egg
300 ml milk
oil for frying (spray oil is super easy)

That's it! That's all you need!

Whisk the salt into the flour. Whisk the egg into the flour. Whisk the milk into the flour. Leave for 30 minutes. Whisk batter again, should be the consistency of cream. Heat up pan to just warmer than medium heat, spray with oil, pour in batter, roll it around base of frying pan cook about 45 seconds on each side.

Spray pan before cooking each new crepe. I dont know if it is safe, but I keep the batter in the fridge if I dont finish it all. Just whisk it up and it makes great crepes the next day.

For my delicious breakfast I made four (probably a little greedy!), folded them in half and stacked them across my plate. I doused them in lemon juice and poured over some microwaved summer fruits (I had stored since the summer in the freezer - peaches, blackberries and blueberries). I sprinkled a teaspoon of raw sugar over and topped with three dollops of vanilla yoghurt (Stoneyfield Farms Organic Fat-Free, my favourite!).

With a glass of pineapple juice, who can think of anything more decadent to start the day!

Im sure if you were so inclined you could have warmed banana with chocolate sauce and whipping cream, but I don't like chocolate and I dont buy bananas, so that wasn't my cup of tea.

Please please make this for your loved one tomorrow! They will definitely have a smile on their face for the rest of the day!

Not sure that I want to wander out into the cold with my full tummy to rake yet more leaves for the day now! Needs must, I suppose.

I wish I could have shared my delicious breakfast with my most handsome husband, who is working himself half to death in California as we speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment